Breast augmentation means something different to everyone. You get to choose between different shapes and sizes, and your recovery will be unique to you. Your plastic surgeon will walk you through the options that best fit your needs. One thing you may be wondering is how much a breast augmentation costs.
How Much Does Breast Augmentation Cost?
Breast augmentation is a cosmetic procedure that’s not covered by insurance. How much you pay depends on the kind of surgery you have. Augmentation with implants is the least expensive procedure for enhancing the breasts. Price can vary depending on whether a breast lift is done at the same time or fat grafting is an option.
Average Cost Per Procedure
According to RealSelf, the average cost of a breast augmentation procedure is $6,500. The amount you pay may be more or less, depending on the kind of procedure you have and some other factors. Here’s how much you can expect to pay for the different types of breast augmentation surgery:
- Breast augmentation with implants: $6,375 (on average) – At Savannah Plastic Surgery, the general cost is closer to $5300.
- Breast augmentation with fat transfer: $9,100
- Breast lift: $7,950
- Breast lift with implants: $8,850
Breast implant revision usually costs more than first-time implant surgery, at an average of $8,050. This is because revision often involves repairing damage to breast tissue or replacing damaged or old implants.
What Are the Costs Associated with Surgery?
The full cost of a breast augmentation with implants or fat transfer covers a range of fees, including:
- Surgeon’s fee
- Anesthetist’s fee
- Operating-room/facility fee
- The cost of the implants themselves (if the procedure includes implants)
- Post-op prescriptions
- Post-op compression garment or surgical bra
This fee covers the surgeon’s time and expertise. How much your surgeon charges depends on several factors, like their:
- Level of experience
Another important factor is the type of procedure you’re having—how complex it is and how long it will take. The longer or more complicated the surgery, the higher the surgeon’s fee will be. For instance, if you have a breast lift with your augmentation procedure, you’ll pay more than you would for just a breast augmentation.
Note that some surgeons include the cost of breast implants with their surgical fee, and some don’t. When you receive a cost estimate from a surgeon, make sure to verify exactly what expenses it covers.
Surgeon’s Fees by Procedure
According to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, these figures represent the average surgeon’s fee for the listed procedure. How much you actually pay depends on the factors outlined above.
- Breast augmentation using saline implants: $3,792 (implant cost not included)
- Breast augmentation using silicone implants: $4,085 (implant cost not included)
- Breast augmentation with fat transfer: $3,005
- Breast lift: $4,970 (not including augmentation)
The anesthetist present at your procedure charges their own separate fee. What you pay will depend on:
- Their experience and expertise
- The length of the procedure
- The type of anesthetic used
It may also depend on where the surgery is performed.
Most anesthetists charge an hourly rate, and the average fee for breast augmentation surgery is $600 to $800.
The facility fee covers all the other costs associated with surgery, including the cost of running the operating room and any equipment used in the procedure. The facility fee you pay is based on how long the surgery takes, and it ranges from $800 to $1200.
Since most breast augmentation patients don’t need an overnight stay, the facility fee doesn’t include this cost. If you need to have an overnight stay after surgery, the cost of this will add to the total facility fee.
The Cost of Breast Implants
If you’re having a breast augmentation with implants, the kind of implants you choose affect how much the procedure costs. Average breast implant prices range from around $1,000 for saline to $3,000 for gummy bear silicone implants. These figures are for a pair of breast implants.
- Saline implants cost up to $1,000.
- Silicone implants cost up to $2,000.
- Gummy bear implants cost up to $3,000.
The brand of implants you choose may also affect how much you pay. The size of the implants doesn’t greatly affect their cost.
Post-Op Care: Prescriptions and Garments
During your post-surgery period, you’ll need to take care of yourself properly for a good, quick recovery. That will likely mean spending additional money on prescriptions and any compression garment you need to wear.
Typically, you’ll be given prescriptions for antibiotics and pain medication. Depending on your situation, you may also be prescribed anti-nausea medication or sleep aids. The amount you pay for prescriptions is variable, as it depends on what your insurance covers.
A compression garment for breast augmentation surgery is worn to provide support to your breasts as they heal, and to reduce swelling. A surgical bra may cost between $50 and $100, depending on the brand and the size you need.
Many women who choose smaller implants find that wearing a good sports bra provides enough support as they heal from surgery. When it comes to compression garments, the most important thing is to wear them exactly as your surgeon recommends, as this will affect your recovery and your surgery results.
Location Affects the Cost of Breast Augmentation Fees – Why?
Your breast augmentation surgery cost is influenced by where you have the surgery for two main reasons:
- It depends on the cost of living in the location where you have the procedure – In cities where the cost of living is higher, facility fees will be higher, and so will surgeon and anesthetist fees. Large or highly rated facilities may also charge a higher fee. Typically, this means that it costs more to have breast augmentation surgery in large cities.
- Surgeons who are highly qualified and in-demand tend to live and work in large, well-populated cities – For instance, if you choose a top surgeon in New York City or Los Angeles, you’ll pay much more than you would by opting for a surgeon who lives and works in a smaller city.
Your Surgeon Can Give You Advice About Cost and Options
Whether you’ve decided you want breast augmentation surgery or are just thinking about it, talking to a surgeon can help you make the best choice for your situation. Schedule a complimentary consultation, so you can talk over the cost of surgery. At Savannah Plastic Surgery in Savannah, GA, we’re happy to give you a detailed breakdown of the fees and expenses involved in a breast augmentation procedure. Ask as many questions as you need, so you understand exactly what’s involved and make the decision that’s right for you!